Saturday, March 24, 2012

Here goes!

I've worked hard to stay out of the climbing blog world for a few reasons. Time draining, narcissism, and soporific over-detail are blogging excesses I've seen in too many friends' pages, and seemed worth avoiding. Today I changed my mind. I was out climbing at Horse Flats (pics later! maybe) and my friends Itai and Isaac convinced me that a blog can be a communication device. While facebook photo uploads are easy and acceptable, a status is never enough to tell the story of a comp, and posting about outdoor sends feels like bragging- mostly to people who don't know what you're talking about. On the other hand, trying to talk about a comp or new outdoor projects without any kind of visual aid is ineffective- this hampers not only conversations but also mandatory updates to sponsors. Thus, a discontinuity is established that makes it frustratingly difficult to share climbing experiences. Solution: a blog that uses a narrative of pictures to tell a story. No essays. If you really want to read more, see the links on the right- they have more stories to tell.
Hopefully this will be the longest text post for a long while, measuring by word count. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment